Friendly Win Over Falkirk

Rangers 1 Falkirk 0

A Rangers youth side took on a Falkirk side that featured a couple of over age players in a friendly at Murray Park this afternoon. In a closely fought game it took a late own goal to separate the sides.

It was the visitors that threatened first when Conor McGrandles broke down the left, cut inside and Wayne Drummond saved. On nine minutes Nicky Main won the ball at the edge of the Falkirk box, passed to Anthony Marenghi who in turn passed to Dylan McGeough and the midfielder tested keeper Graham Bowman from around 25 yards.

A minute later and only a fine Drummond save prevented Falkirk taking the lead. James Bloom sent a cross from the left towards the Rangers box where it was helped on by Ally Graham into the path of Conor Kelly and the Rangers   keeper made a great save at point-blank range. On 24 minutes McGeough went on a great run from deep inside his own half taking him past two defenders before playing the ball out to Michael Noble who’s shot from 25 yards was only just too high.

A few minutes later McGeough sent another great ball out left, this time to Steven Hetherington who tried his luck, shooting just wide. Seven minutes before the break Marenghi was impeded outside the box, he stepped up to take the kick himself which Bowman saved comfortably. At the other end Craig McLeish tried his luck from distance, shooting just over.

Half-Time:- Rangers 0 Falkirk 0

The second half began like the first with McGrandles testing the Rangers defence this time firing across goal and wide. On 56 minutes McGrandles was again involved, combining with Kelly to set up Graham but again the effort was wide of target.

Max Wright tried his luck with a snap shot on 62 minutes after Falkirk lost possession following a throw-in near their own box. A few minutes later Chris Hegarty won the ball on the halfway line and sent Hetherington clear on the left, keeper Bowman saving his shot when he cut inside.

Substitute Sam McMahon had a chance with quarter of an hour remaining, Kamil Wiktorski sending him through after winning the  ball midway inside the Falkirk half, but he was forced wide and the danger was cleared. Five minutes later and McMahon had a better chance when sent clear by Nicky Main, this time he got his shot away but Bowman made a fine save.

The breakthrough came with eight minutes left on the clock. Wiktorski’s cross was deep inside the left hand side of the penalty box where Max Wright headed it back across goal, under pressure from Sam McMahon former Ranger Murray Wallace could only knock the ball over his own goal line and into the net.

Rangers 1 Falkirk 0

Rangers:- Wayne Drummond (Gary Inglis 46mins); Ewan McNeil (Christiano Kisuka 46mins), Scott Rumsby (Gregor Fotheringham 46mins), Chris Hegarty, Michael Noble; Nicky Main, Dylan McGeough ( Max Wright 46mins), Kamil Wiktorski, Steven Hetherington; Fredrik Espling (Sam McMahon 58mins), Anthony Marenghi.

Falkirk:- Graham Bowman; Grant Santi, Callum McLean, Murray Wallace, Jmaes Bloom; Dale Fulton, Craig McLeish, Jay Fulton; Ally Graham, Conor Kelly, Conor McGrandles

Subs Used:- Aaron Sekhon, Kris Faulds, Steven Brisbane, Liam Rowan, Ryan Miller

Not Used:- Jordan Roberts (GK)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: