17’s Win Over Queen’s Park

Rangers Under 17’s continued their build up to the start of the season with a comfortable win over Queen’s Park at Murray Park last night. The lineup included two of the four French trialists that featured against Livingston last week, and another trialist (Scottish) came on as a substitute.

The first real chance came in the eighth minute when a slack pass gave Sam McMahon a chance but the Queen’s keeper saved bravely at the striker’s feet. Four minutes later and Rangers took the lead, a Frankie Owens corner from the right saw Adel Gafaiti rise too bullet a header off the underside of the bar and over the line.

Rangers double their lead on twenty minutes, Adel Gafaiti won the ball in midfield and played it to George Scott at the left hand angle of the penalty box from where he curled a superb shot over the keeper and into the top corner of the net. The same player came close seven minutes later after a great run and cross from Abdul Abdulagay, Scott controled the ball, turned the defender and shot just wide.

A minute later and Rangers scored again, a great through ball from Gafaiti sent Sam McMahon clear, he advanced into the box, held off a defender and shot past the advancing keeper. The visitors had a chance on the half-hour mark, but Blair Currie saved the shot diving to his left.

A minute later and Queens Park really should have scored, through on Currie and with the goal at his mercy the striker blazed high and wide. Rangers went straight up the other end and came close to adding a fourth, a superb chipped pass from McMahon sent Lee Cochrane clear, he lobbed the advancing keeper only to see the ball go just wide.

Half-Time:- Rangers 3 Queen’s Park 0

The second half saw a spirited performance from The Spiders and they held Rangers for a long period and indeed should have got a goal back on 68 minutes, their striker was through but under pressure from Scott Rumsby his shot lacked power and Currie saved. With twenty minutes remaining Mark Dyer came close with a superb effort, Scott found him on the left with a  crossfield pass and a great touch and volley had the keeper scrambling as it just missed the near post.

Rangers had a few chances to increase their lead in the final ten minutes, from a corner on the right the ball was flicked on and Scott Rumsby headed narrowly wide. The substitute trialist then created and chance for himself, winning the ball thirty yards out he ran on into the box, rounded the keeper only to see his shot drift wide of the post.

Latching on to a long pass from Mark Taylor he had another chance a minute later, this time he tried to lob the keeper, but his effort lacked height and the keeper saved.  The Queen’s keeper then got down to save a long-range effort from Scott. And in the final minute Sam McMahon completed the scoring with a great goal. Winning the ball he then beat a defender and fired a shot from 25 yards into the top corner.

Full-Time:- Rangers 4 Queen’s Park 0

Rangers:- Blair Currie; Abdul Abdulagay (Callum ??? 60mins), Scott Rumsby, Stuart Urquhart, Frankie Owens (Mark Taylor 50 mins); Gregor Fotheringham, Lambert Lemlembe (Callum McConnell 62mins), Adel Gafaiti (Mark Dyer 55 mins), George Scott; Sam McMahon, Lee Cochrane.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: