17’s Fightback Overcomes Hibs

Rangers 5 Hibs 2

Rangers Under 17’s came from 1-2 down at half-time to comfortably beat Hibs 5-2 in a friendly this afternoon at Murray Park. It was the Ibrox youngsters who struck first with an early goal in the sixth minute, Michael Noble and Robbie Crawford worked a throw in down in the left corner and Noble’s superb cross was headed home by Anthony Marenghi.

Ten minutes later they came close to doubling their lead, Lee Cochrane collected a clearance on the left and set up Marenghi, his effort was deflected past the keeper but the Hibs defender cleared before it crossed the line. Within two minutes Hibs were level when a shot from wide on the left caught out Blair Currie at his near post.

Hibs threatened again when a series of 1-2’s set up a chance for their left-back but he shot wide. At the other end  Chris Ketterer set up a shooting chance from distance for Nicky Main and the Hibs keeper saved low to his left at the expense of a corner. Another throw in worked by the same pair as earlier with the cross this time coming from Robbie Crawford gave Lewis McLeod a chance but his shot was blocked.

The visitors then took the lead on 26 minutes, Chris Ketterer just failed to cut out a through ball and the Hibs striker advanced to slot past Currie. That set back Rangers for a spell and it not until five minutes before the break when Marenghi cut in from the right and tested the keeper who saved comfortably. Then just before half-time Crawford’s play on the left gave Main another opportunity from distance this time the keeper tipping over.

Half-Time:- Rangers 1 Hibs 2

Five minutes into the second half and good play in the middle of the park by Marenghi gave Crawford space and his attempted lob had the Hibs keeper holding on at full stretch. Another five minutes and Rangers were level, Cochrane set up a shooting opportunity for McLeod with the keeper parrying low to his right Robbie Crawford was on hand to net the rebound.

Four minutes later the Murray Park youngsters were back in front, a Steven Hetherington corner from the left was cleared to the edge of the box, from where Robbie Crawford’s shot spun over the Hibs defence and into the top corner. Within a couple of minutes Rangers increased their lead, Anthony Marenghi collecting a poor clearance from the keeper, side stepping a defender and finding the net from just inside the penalty area.

On 65 minutes only a stunning double save prevented Rangers scoring again, another Hetherington corner was headed goalwards by Kyle McAusland which the keeper parried, Lee Cochrane seemed certain to score but the Hibs keeper managed to get is hand to his effort to divert it over the bar. With quarter of an hour remaining Hetherington broke forward from the centre circle and played the ball up to Mark Taylor, who in turn fed Frankie Owens who beat the keeper from the left hand corner of the box.

With five minutes left on the clock Hibs broke down the right and it took a great defensive header from McAusland to clear for a corner. The final effort of the game coming a minute later when Ewan McNeil broke forward to test Hibs substitute keeper from 25 yards.

Full-Time:- Rangers 5 Hibs 2

Rangers :- Blair Currie; Ewan McNeil, Kyle McCausland, Chris Ketterer, Michael Noble; Lewis McLeod (Michael Mosson 74mins), Nicky Main (Frankie Owens 61mins), Steven Hetherington, Robbie Crawford; Anthony Marenghi, Lee Cochrane (Mark Taylor 72mins).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: