16’s Friendly At Lesser Hampden

Queen’s Park 1 Rangers 3

Friday night was an opportunity to taken in a game at the age group that falls between two development teams when Rangers took on Queen’s Park in an under 16 friendly at Lesser Hampden. It was the home side that took the lead after 8 minutes with an excellent goal. They broke down the right and when the ball was crossed it found its way to the angle of the penalty area, where the Queen’s left midfielder gave Sam George no chance with a superb strike.

On 2o minutes Rangers conceded a penalty when Michael Mosson impeded the attacker as he broke in to the box, Sam George saved the resultant penalty low to his left. Rangers then almost equalised straight away  when Frankie Owens fed George Scott who shot narrowly wide.

Just after the half hour mark a great piece of control by Lee Cochrane saw him shoot powerfully but straight at the keeper. A couple of minutes later Charlie Telfer played the ball inside to Cochrane who’s shot was saved, the ball broke to Callum McConnell but he delayed his effort and it was scrambled clear.

The equaliser came ten minutes before half time when Cochrane was fouled just outside the box and Stuart Urquhart stepped up to shoot low past the keeper. Right on the stroke of half time Cochrane sent McConnell through one on one with the keeper who made a fine block.

Half Time:- Queen’s Park 1 Rangers 1

Rangers took the lead two minutes after the break, a long ball sent Lee Cochrane down the left, he cut inside and shot past the keeper giving him no chance. Just before the hour Rangers had three chances within seconds of each other. First Telfer set up Cochrane who saw his shot saved, the ball broke to the edge of the box where George Scott sent a thundering shot against the bar, McConnell then stretched to send the rebound goalwards which the keeper managed to save at the second attempt.

On the hour Rangers hit the woodwork again when Cochrane played Telfer through, he poked the ball past the keeper only to see it rebound from the post. The next chance came when Urquhart met a Scott corner but the keeper made a fine diving save.

With twenty minutes remaining McConnell was again denied by the keeper when through.  Rangers could have payed for those missed chances when a Mosson slip gave Queen’s a chance but the shot was in to the side netting.

At the other end the keeper denied Urquhart a second goal from a free kick when he saved to his right after McConnell was  fouled just outside the box. With a minute remaining Callum McConnell got the goal his play deserved, controlling a cross from the left and shooting past the keeper.

Full Time:- Queen’s Park 1 Rangers 3

Rangers:- Sam George (Liam Kelly); Andy Murdoch, Michael Mosson, Stuart Urquhart, Jordan Wilson (Ciaran Summers); Charlie Telfer, Frankie Owens, George Scott, Darren McGill (Blair Munn);Lee Cochrane, Callum McConnell.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: