Youths Win At Hearts

Hearts 0Rangers 1

With Jamie Ness and Gregg Wylde on first team duty and Danny Wilson injured there were three changes to the team that drew with Falkirk last week. Darren Cole and Rhys McCabe came in to a re-shuffled back four and Gordon Dick coming in to midfield.

Rangers were first to threaten after ten minutes when Kane Hemmings played Archie Campbell through but he was forced wide and keeper Dean Lyness saved easily. Nine minutes later Rangers were unfortunate not to take the lead, great play down the left by Campbell and his cut back set up Gordon Dick, his effort coming back of the post with Lyness beaten.

Hearts first real chance came on 27 minutes after good play down the left saw Michael Deland through but his shot failed to trouble Grant Adam and he saved easily. Hearts were having their best spell of the game and eight minutes later another good passing move gave Jamie Walker a chance but he shot straight at Adam. A minute later Rangers had a big let off when Hearts really should have taken the lead. Jamie Walker turned Scott Durie and raced clear, his shot brought out a fine save from Adam, but with the keeper now helpless the ball fell to Scott Robinson and with the goal at his mercy he shot over.

Rangers then came back into the game and Kane Hemmings turned on a Rhys McCabe throw and his shot brought out a save from Lyness his right hand post at the expense of a corner. Five minutes before half time Hemming won the ball 30 yards from goal and his shot brought out another save from Lyness. The last action just before the half time whistle saw Scott Durie win the ball on the halfway line and stride forward to fire a shot just over.

Half Time:- Hearts 0 Rangers 0

Rangers started the second half on the ascendancy and Hemmings had a shot deflected wide. With eight minutes gone in the second half Rangers should have taken the lead, an attempted clearance cannoned off Max Wright in to the path of Archie Campbell but he was denied by a fantastic save from Lyness at close range.

On 65 minutes Rangers took the lead with a slighlty fortunate goal, Campbell broke forward in to the Hearts half and played the ball inside to Kal Naismith,  who then played the ball out wide left where Rhys McCabe’s cross was carried by the swirling wind over keeper Lyness and in to the net. Hearts then had a chance a couple of minutes later when a free kick from wide left wasn’t cleared by the Rangers defence but the eventual effort on goal when wide of the post.

On 72 minutes Rangers should have increased their lead, Hemmings flicked on Darren Cole free kick to give Campbell a clear chance, but he shot over. Five minutes later it was Hemmings that came close, running on to a McCabe through ball he lobbed the advancing Lyness only to see the ball just go past.

Rangers saw the game out comfortably and the last effort of note came from a McCabe free kick that had Lyness scrambling across goal as the ball just missed his left hand post.

Full Time:- Hearts 0 Rangers 1

Rangers:- Grant Adam; Darren Cole, Chris Scott, Scott Durie, Rhys McCabe; Max Wright (Christiano Kisuka 57mins), Gordon Dick, Kyle Hutton, Kal Naismith (Kyle McAusland 77mins), Archie Campbell; Kane Hemmings (Steven Forbes 86 mins).

Not Used:- Mark Weir, Andrew Milne, Ewan McNeil

Hearts:- Dean Lyness; Billy McKenna, Dylan McGowan, Conrad Balatoni (Jamie McCormack 46 mins) , Michael Deland; Jamie Walker  (Ryan Stewart), Danny Thomson, Jihn Woods, Jason Holt (David Smith 53mins), Scott Robinson; Jordan Morton.

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: