Fightback Secures Point For Youths

Rangers 2 Falkirk 2

Rangers under 19’s got their league campaign under way this afternoon at Murray Park, and had to come from two goals down to secure a point. It was a disappointing start to the competitive season, but at the half time mark it was looking much worse.

Yet they started brightly and Kal Naismith should really have put them ahead in the 13th minute. Scott Durie’s cross into the box was missed by the Falkirk defence and Naismith was left with only the keeper to beat, but was too deliberate and Kevin Walker blocked with his legs. Walker was in action again two minutes later, tipping over an Archie Campbell effort when he was sent clear by Darren Cole.

A minute later Campbell had another chance on the end of a Grant Adam clearance but miss hit his shot and Walker saved easily. Falkirk then took the lead on 21 minutes with their first real effort at goal. Lewis Bonnar picked the ball up in midfield and strode forward to fire a shot from 25 yards that found the top corner via the post with Adam seeming to anticipate it going wide.

A couple of minutes later and Campbell was played through  by Naismith, keeper Walker again denied the Rangers striker with a fine save low to his right at the expensive of a corner. On 26 minutes Falkirk managed to break from defending a corner to double their lead. Naismith’s corner was flicked on by Kyle Hutton and was cleared of the line. The ball was played forward and Durie missed his tackle on the halfway line and James Bloom raced clear, he advanced into the box to shot past Adam.

Rangers having made those earlier chances were now struggling to make an impact and the nearest thing to a goal before the half ended came when Young and Scott Davidson combined on the right and the laters effort went just over.

Half Time:- Rangers 0 Falkirk 2

Straight from the kick off Walker made another fine save to deny Gregg Wylde after he broke down the left and fired in an effort from just inside the box. Just before the hour mark a long ball was missed by Danny Wilson and Blair Young shot just wide. At the other end Jamie Ness played the ball out to substitute Rhys McCabe who’s cross was met by Hutton but was just off target.

With 25 minutes remaining Grant Adam had to look smart to tip another Young effort over. Then Max Wright came close to reducing the deficet when set up my Dylan McGeough but his shot was deflected wide.

On 70 minutes Rangers pulled one back, a corner on the left was taken by Max Wright,  was met by the head of Danny Wilson to give the keeper no chance. A minute later saw a carbon copy of the previous corner but this time a combination of keeper Walker and the defender on the line, some how managed to divert the ball over the bar.

The equaliser was only delayed, from the resultant corner, this time taken from the right by Gregg Wylde caused panic in the Falkirk penalty area with the ball eventually falling for Jamie Ness to net from close range.

The expected pressure from the Rangers to snatch a winner never materialised and the best chance before the end came with two minutes on the clock. A corner from the right was missed by Adam but the Falkirk player headed over.

Full Time:- Rangers 2 Falkirk 2

Rangers:- Grant Adam; Scott Durie, Chris Scott, Danny Wilson, Gregg Wylde; Darren Cole (Rhys McCabe 46mins), Kyle Hutton, Jamie Ness, Kal Naismith (Max Wright 55mins); Kane Hemmings, Archie Campbell (Dylan McGeough 63mins)

Not Used:- Mark Weir, Kyle McAusland.

Falkirk:- Kevin Walker; Blair Aiston, Murray Wallace, Euen Grant, James Bloom; Ally Graham, Sean Fraser, Jonathan Cooper, Lewis Bonnar; Scott Davidson, Blair Young.


Rangers 6 Ayr United 0

The much changed under 15 squad continued there build up to the news season with an easy win over Ayr United at Murray Park on Thursday night. The game was played over three, 30 minute periods, with Rangers finishing the first period 3-0 up.

The first goal coming when a Blair Munn corner was headed home at the back post by Kieran McKenna. The impressive Darren Ramsay added a second when he won the ball just ouside the penalty area, made space for a shot and beat the keeper from the 18 yard line. The third gaol came whan a good passing move put Charlie Telfer clear and he ran on to slot past the keeper.

The second period only saw a single goal due some good defending, bad misses and heroics from the Ayr keeper. The goal coming near the end of the period, Darren Ramsay breaking through and finding the net from the rebound after the keeper had blocjked his first effort.

The final period saw a further two goals, Darren Ramsay powering home a header from another Blair Munn cornert to complete his hat trick. Then new recruit from Queens Park Gordon Young scoring a similar effort to Ramsay’s second, scoring from a rebound after the keeper blocked his first effort.

Rangers Squad:- Sam George, Dylan Dykes, Kieran McKenna, Stuart Urquhart, Jordan Wilson, Darren Lyons, Darren Ramsay, Blair Munn, Darren McGill, Charlie Telfer, Callum McConnell, Gordon Young, Ciaran Summers, Jake ??, Yusef ??


Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: