Rangers 3 Dumbarton 1

Rangers 3 Dumbarton 1

Rangers moved into the 5th round of the youth cup today, with a low key win over Dumarton. There was one change to the team that defeated Motherwell last week, with Archie Campbell coming in and Isa Bagci dropping to the bench.

The first chance of note came in the 5th minute, Gregg Wylde adavancing down the left and his cross come shot was saved at the near post by keeper Chris Calder. Four minutes later Wylde again attacked down the left, when his cross was cleared to the edge of the box Stephen Stirling fired over.

Rangers took the lead in the 13th minute, a through ball from Kyle Hutton sent Archie Campbell clear and he made no mistake. Three minutes later a throw-in was worked on the left between Wylde and Jamie Ness, when the cross from Ness was cleared it fell to Ross Perry who shot just over.

The second goal was only delayed untill the 19th minute, a John Fleck corner was cleared to the right hand corner of the box, Archie Campbell lobbed the ball over everyone into the net to make it 2-0. A minute later Rangers almost made it 3-0, Ness sent Fleck clear on the left, keeper Calder saved his effort with his legs, Kane Hemmings follow up hit the outside of the post and went wide.

Dumbarton’s first real venture into the Rangers half came in 23 minutes, a quick free kick released Andy Moore down the right, his attempted cross from a good position was cut out by Chris Scott. Five minutes later a Fleck pass setup Archie Campbell but he dragged his shot accross goal.

Rangers then created and missed three great chances before half time. First a Gregg Wylde run and cross from the left was knocked just wide by Kane Hemmings. A minute later an Archie Campbell cross was met by Danny Wilson, who was stretching a bit and the ball went over. Then on the stroke of half time Jamie Ness burst into the box and his cut back was met by John Fleck only to creep past the far post.

Half Time:- Rangers 2 Dumbarton 0

The first effort of the second half came from Stephen Stirling on 50 minutes, his shot being saved by keeper Calder. A few minutes later a long range shot from Gregg Wylde went narrowly past. On 56 minutes Rangers recieved a warning that the tie wasn’t over when Kieran Brannan shot just wide.

They failed to take heed of that warning and on 62 minutes Dumbarton were back in the tie, They were awarded a free kick a few yards out side the box and Alan Cook stepped up to shoot low past Arturs Vaiculus. As Rangers stepped up the pace a double save from Calder kept the score at 2-1, first he saved a Steven Forbes shot from the edge of the box and then blocked Gregg Wylde’s effort from the rebound.

Dumbarton’s attacks were few and far between, but on 68 minutes Moore released Brannan but his effort went wide. Rangers needed another goal to make the tie safe, but failed to take another couple of great chances. With fifeteen minutes remaining John Fleck’s cut back was poked wide by Stephen Stirling. A few minutes later a throw-in worked between Perry and Stirling, saw Campbell shoot over from Stirling’s cut back.

Rangers finally got the third goal with seven minutes left on the clock, a long ball from Stephen Stirling saw Isa Bagci out pace the defender and run through to make it 3-1. This was enough to see Rangers through to the next round, but better performances will be required if they are to retain the trophy.

Rangers 3 Dumbarton 1

Rangers:- Arturs Vaiculus; Ross Perry, Chris Scott, Danny Wilson, Gegg Wylde; Kyle Hutton (Steven Forbes 52mins), Stephen Stirling, Jamie Ness, John Fleck; Archie Campbell, Kane Hemmings (Isa Bagci 58 mins).

Not Used :- Gary Inglis, Darren Cole, Kyle McAusland.

Dumbarton:- Chris Calder; Thomas McLeary (Grant Richmond 84 mins), Shaun McKenzie, Richard McKillen, Alan Cook; Nicky Russell (Curtis Rose 78 mins), Tony Wallace, Martin McNiff, Daly McSorley; Kieran Brannan, Andy Moore.

Not Used:- Scott Adamson, Ryan Abbott, Mark Baird.

Other 4th Round Scores

St.Mirren 0 Inverness Caley Thistle 2

Fakirk 3 Hearts 2 AET

Motherwell 2 Livingston 1

Ross County 0 Hibs 8

Raith Rovers 6 Civil Service Stollers 0

Celtic 7 Cowdenbeath 0

Queen’s Park 2 Hamilton Accies 2 AET Hamilton won 5-4 on penalties.

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: