Kilmarnock 0 Rangers 1

Kilmarnock 0 Rangers 1

Billy Kirkwood made three changes from the team that was held by Inverness Caley Thistle last weekend. In came Chris Scott, John Fleck returning from injury and Isa Bagci, back from helping Turkey qualify for the next phase of the UEFA Under 19’s championships, Gordon Dick, Kal Naismith and Archie Campbell dropping to the bench. Keeper Mark Weir, currently on loan from Rangers, lined up between the sticks for Kilmarnock.

In a uneventful first half there were few incidents of note, with neither side troubling the opposition’s keeper. Isa Bagci fired over in the 5th minute after the Kilmarnock defence failed to clear a Kane Hemmings long throw. Twenty minutes later Hemmings just failed to get a touch at the back post from a John Fleck corner.Mark Weir had his first real action in the 36th minute, comfortably saving a Stephen Stirling shot from the edge of the box.

Half Time:Kilmarnock 0 Rangers 0

Rangers came out for the second half looking to raise the pace and almost took the lead in the first minute. A John Fleck corner was headed goalwards by Ross Perry, but the Kilmarnock defender cleared of the line at the left hand post. Four mintues later Rangers took the lead, Stephen Stirling released Kane Hemmings on the left, he cut in passed the defender and hit a right foot shot passed Mark Weir.

Two minutes later a fine save from Weir prevented Rangers increasing their lead, Isa Bagci went passed two Kilmarnock defenders , but Weir did well to block his effort. On 62 minutes Weir was to deny Bagci again, this time he worked his way along the byline before Weir saved his shot from a tight angle.

On 69 minutes Bagci, came close again. He turned the last defender in the box and as Mark Weir came out he poked the ball passed him but just wide of the post. The next chance came 10 minutes later when a through ball from Kyle Hutton saw Kane Hemmings running through, but Weir saved bravely at the big striker’s feet.

With six minutes remaining Kilmarnock were reduced to ten men. A slip in the centre of the Killie defence saw Kane Hemming race clear. The Kilmarnock defender Michael Doyle attempted to pull him back and although Hemmings broke from his grasp the referee deemed the last man infringement enough to warrant a straight red card. From the resultant free kick Gregg Wylde struck it well, but Mark Weir again pulled of a fine save diving to his left.

A better second half performance secured the points and should have produced another goal or two. Kilmarnock battled well and at 1-0 were always in the game, but never really created a real chance during the 90 minutes.

Full Time: Kilmarnock 0 Rangers 1

Rangers Team: Arturs Vaiculus; Steven Forbes, Chris Scott, Ross Perry, Gregg Wylde; Kyle Hutton, Stephen Stirling, Jamie Ness, John Fleck (Archie Campbell); Isa Bagci (Kyle McAusland), Kane Hemmings.

Unused Subs: Grant Adam, Kal Naismith, Andrew Milne, Gordon Dick

Next game is Rangers -v- Motherwell, Saturday 29th November, Murray Park, 11am Kick Off.


Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: